Thursday, March 3, 2011

Old Man's War: sold to be a movie!

Well, while checking my 15 things I try to check daily, I noticed this: http://www.filmcritic.com/features/2011/03/oscar-wrapup-plus-sales-and-disclosures/

This is exciting news for many reasons.

1) Old Man's War will make a fantastic movie.  Though it might have a bit of a lot of sex.

2) Old Man's War, directed by Wolfgang Peterson, would be particularly nice - though I thought Troy was a bit shy of the greatness it reached for, and thus worse than if it'd gone for dumb action thriller - I respected it for trying.  Air Force One was fantastically exciting and engaging, though I don't know if I can watch it again (the executions are really hard to take).  I have confidence in a sensible, exciting, stylish but not frilly and self-indulgent flick.

3) Old Man's War is very self-consciously in the line of Ender's Game and Starship Troopers.  If it gets made well and makes a lot of money, maybe they'll finally see that Ender's Game itself would make a killer film.  Funny thing is, at some point, Wolfgang Peterson was attached to direct Ender's Game, but that fell through when Card refused to let them make Ender a sixteen year old with a sex partner...er, I mean love interest, and Peterson had to move to other projects.

So - I recommend everyone read Old Man's War, and read the progressively better sequels, The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony, and Zoe's Tale.  Though I describe them as my McDonald's reads, that's not really horrible.  Tasty, very well produced, hit the right notes emotionally, raise some moral points, and are ultimately rather disposable.  There's worse.  Not everything can be Ender's Shadow or Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell (both of which need movies...)

Posted via email from We read to know we're not alone

No comments: