Monday, December 6, 2010

5 Arts/Artists who changed my life/mind/words

5. Batman Begins.  Not, perhaps, the most powerful and important of life-changing or mind-shaping or word-giving, but this film really had a Eureka moment for me when the character of Rachel articulates why I've always hated revenge dramas - "Revenge is about making you feel better.  Justice is about harmony."

4. The Man Who Was Thursday - G. K. Chesterton.  A 1911ish thriller which is engrossing (I read it in one night at 14 in Switzerland), and at the same time extremely thought-provoking.  Convinced me that instead of embracing the prevailing cultural rebellion against standards, structure, and heirarchy, I would be a rebel against rebellion.  Not quite standing up for "the man," but in a weird backwards way doing exactly that.

3. Little Dorrit.  While I had undergone a significant reversal when I was 17, falling in love with Jane Austen after thinking she was stupid since I was 13, my long-standing hatred of Dickens' ridiculously unbelievable and unlikeable characters and silly plot devices melted in the face of the passionate sincerity and loveable nobility of this amazing, dual-climaxed epic.  A monument to the fact that if I don't love something now, there is a chance (however slim) that I won't always hate it.

2. Sherlock Holmes, as played by Jeremy Brett.  Until I was 13, I hated dressing up, my hair, and thought colors were cool.  When I was thirteen, I began watching this amazing series of adaptations of stories I'd been reading since I was about ten, and those three things changed.  I loved dressing up, began forcing my hair to be combed, and thought black was the best color ever.  In addition to these elements, I developed a lasting and life-shaping interest in adaptation and film directing.

1. Jane Austen.  You didn't know?  I mean, she's only the person who I think has the most beautiful writing style, most loveable and admirable characters, and most satisfying combinations of characters and situations/structures/plots.  Plus, she really is my entry into my chosen profession of literary criticism, theory, and teaching.

Posted via email from We read to know we're not alone

1 comment:

JaneGS said...

Interesting list in that some of those who made it were those you rejected when you were younger. For the most part, when I think about major influences, I think of the authors who I read so much when I was young that they imprinted themselves on my psyche.

I have got to return to Dickens (we've been on the outs for awhile now) in order to read Little Dorrit.