Saturday, December 5, 2009

So, what should we use instead of Ironically?

After the show Castle informed me that the use of the word "Ironically" to mean "a situation in which the outcome and the desired outcome are contradictory" is incorrect, I've been searching for a substitution (Irony's actual meaning is the expression of one meaning through words which normally mean the opposite - the contradiction being between the denotation of the words and the intended meaning).  For about a week, I've been using "oddly," "humorously," "funnily," and other such fumbling attempts.  However, wikipedia has suggested "incongruously," which I think is perfect!

(Pedantically, the idea of "irony" being the contrast between desired and actual outcomes can be termed "situational" or "cosmic" irony - but it seems very imprecise to me.)

Posted via email from Ian's posterous

2 comments:

e a said...

Hahaha, I've never read this blog of yours, but I'm finding it quite amusing :D And as I don't know how to reply to comments, this is my way of saying thank you for your comment on my post :D And it's not that I don't LIKE babies, it's just that the novelty wears off after a few minutes. I was holding him and trying to write the next chapter for a fic, and the little thing wanted to scream and cry in tune to whatever music I was listening to. They're very sweet, but only for short periods of time.

And I use paridoxically, as it sounds rather intelligent ^__^

Anonymous said...

You have a interesting blog
God bless you