Tuesday, April 19, 2011

On spilt interests

Valley Of The Shadow by The London Symphony Orchestra Listen on Posterous

My interests tend to go in phases, lasting anywhere from a year to a couple of days, but mostly (if I follow my own patterns correctly, which is actually not very likely) about two weeks to a month.  Usually they are serial, one following the other in neat lines of obsession.  But every now and then they run parallel.

Now is one of those times.

I am currently following up an interest sparked by one of my classes in Little Women, listening to the lovely soundtrack by Thomas Newman from the 1994 film, buying all three books and aforementioned film, going through my collection of movies to check up on how many of the filmmakers I have in there, investigating women-directed film and literary projects, enjoying musicals based on Little Women, The Secret Garden, and Jane Eyre (which is a holdover from my earlier interest in Jane Eyre springing up around the movie release), and generally enjoying a gentle, complex, pretty world of writers and family.

And simultaneously I am following the Game of Thrones television series by HBO, creating a surge of Tolkien rereads, blog hunts, and general interest in high fantasy and its deconstructors.

It's very confusing, to be listening to the ethereally beautiful brass and strings of Little Women while reading about the twisted relationships and violent deaths of imaginary lands.

Odd, said the duck.  Very odd.

Posted via email from We read to know we're not alone

No comments: