Friday, March 5, 2010

Meme from Dickensblog!

(picture: Claire Foy, titular star of "Little Dorrit (2008)")

Normally I don't do these.  But I felt like it today!

Which Dickens character are you secretly in love with?

No secret - it's Amy Dorrit (Little Dorrit)!  Though I'm also a big fan of Bella Wilfer (Our Mutual Friend).

Which Dickens character would you most like to be?

Hmmm - probably Arthur Clennam (Little Dorrit), or perhaps John Jarndyce (Bleak House).

Which Dickens character do you think most resembles you?

Perhaps Nicholas Nickleby, wandering aimlessly through life and losing his temper at perceive injustices.  Or Scrooge, misanthrope extraordinaire (with a somewhat sympathetic backstory, and a redemption).

Which Dickens book have you read the most times?

A Christmas Carol.  Someday, though, I hope it will be Little Dorrit (but it takes a bit more time).

How old were you when you read your first Dickens book?

Probably about 8 or 10.

What is the worst Dickens book you've read?

I am really not a fan of A Tale of Two Cities, though I really should reread it, as I read it before I fell in love with Dickens as an author.

What is the best Dickens book you've read?

Little Dorrit, without hesitation.  I adore the love story, and the double climax structure.  Though I have to say, despite its characterizational flaws, I recently read and loved Hard Times.

What Dickens book would you most like to see made into a new movie and/or miniseries?

Dunno - I tend to read the books when the miniseries gets my attention.  I'm not really thrilled with any of the Oliver Twist adaptations, but there has been too many of them recently.  Though I wish Andrew Davies' Dombey and Son project hadn't gotten canned - it might have gotten me to read the book sooner.

What Dickens book would you least like to see made into a new movie and/or miniseries?

A Tale of Two Cities.  Because I just don't care.  Or Little Dorrit - because it just got made absolutely heartbreakingly beautifully, and I can't imagine it being done better, so it would only get worse.

What is the most difficult Dickens book you've read?

Dunno.  I'm still stuck in the middle of Nicholas Nickleby, Bleak House, and Our Mutual Friend - but not because they're difficulty, because I have school readings.

What is your desert island Dickens book?

Little Dorrit.  Again, without hesitation.  Sorry to be such a scratched record, but that's what is true for me.

Posted via email from We read to know we're not alone

No comments: